Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I Am Here!

So... after a much nervously anticipated trip... I am sitting in the hostel about to go to the bar. So thats pretty awesome.

The Flight

The flight went really well with Virgin Atlantic. I online checked-in but didn't realize thats what the "DIY Line" was. So I wasted 30 minutes oh well. By the way, these keyboards swith the " and @ symbols. Funny. Once I got into the terminal I recognized a guy from the passport agency. He actually got a work visa and is just moving to England for the summer. Doesn't have a job yet or a place to live. That is balls ladies and gents. Also met his friend David who is doing the normal 2 week backpacking trip. By this time I wasn't nervous because I had settled myself. Psyche... Moms gave me a Xanex to take cause I was freaking out all day. Haha.

Once we boarded all things went off as planned. After fifteen minute I got an Orange Juice and a small bag of pretzels. My ticket said no meal so I was psyched! I went to sleep at this point. I woke up an hour later cause of some noise and low and behold... they served a full meal. I got Beef, mashed potatoes, carrots, peppers, a side salad with ranch dressing, bread and butter, cheese and crackers, a water, and... a heineken. Like five minutes later they were offering everyone tea and coffee. Another five after that they were offering refills. So this was pretty good for a "no meal" ticket. Went back to sleep for like 4 hours. Woke up around 10am local time and they were serving breakfast. Got some more OJ, water, and a breakfast bar. They pampered us lower economy class flyers. I can't imagine what the upper class got :p

The Arrival

Got off the plane and went through that passport check thing. The guy asked my permanent UK address, I said the road, he laughed, and let me through. Good thing they like Americans. So now time for baggage check. First thing I see is my bike. Assholes ripped my seat and ripped the handle bar tape on my handle bars (if these two cause irritation in either two of those areas they affect... angry Frank!). Ok whatever whatever whatever I can deal with it... it made it... it was shifting ok... thats what matters most. Wait. Where's my box? You know... the thing that has my panniers, tent, and sleeping bag mat. Hm. Not here. Go to baggage claims. "Oh we found it!" They say as a guy comes carrying a box that can be barely called a box anymore. Completely destroyed. One of the panniers had a small rip. But I hooked it all up. Done.

The Initial Bike Ride

Went outside and started riding towards where my directions said to. Luckily 2 miles down the road I stopped cause I wanted to adjust some stuff and needed my keys to get in my bag. Where are my keys? Crap. I left them on the counter at baggage claims. Biked back. Got them. Back onto the road. It was funny. I would up on a road us Americans would look @ as Interstate 95. Which is probably why I was the only bike. And why all the trucks honked. But whatever. It was only for like 9 miles. And I kept a good speed @ 20-25mph. And there was a big shoulder. Luckily that was the bulk of the ride. Because once I got into the city I got lost immediately. I figured this 14 mile trip would take 3 hours :p When all was said and done I turned the 14 mile 1 hour trip into a 22 mile 3 hour trip full of asking people for directions and getting sent back and forth.

The Hostel and the Search for $ -> £

Got to the hostel and even though I put my deposit with a credit card... now I needed cash. Fine, cash machine (ATM) down at the petro station right down the road. Jump on my bike to go get some. Starts raining. A heavy rain. But not a heavy thick rain. A heavy soft rain. It was actually pleasant :) But the petro stations cash machine would not give me cash. Nor would the grocery stores. Or the post offices. I eventually found a bank after wandering and they were able to do a cash advance on my credit card by calling the bank. So now I got some £ (pounds you silly Americans!). Took an hour nap, wrote in the awesome journal someone gave me, and now here I am letting people know I am alive!

I look forward to Greg getting here tomorrow. Hopefully he can do better than 3 hours :P And then we will also have a camera!

Hope this alleviates a bunch of your peoples stress to see I am alive! Will be thinking of you all :)

Frank

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would leave your keys behind!! Glad you made it there ok!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're alive! Hope everything continues to go 'roughly' as planned. But of course it will, remember my promise!

Anonymous said...

i assume by "greg might be dead" you meant "greg is out of shape and passed the fuck out."

BTW...the message on your phone...you guys are soooo gay.

not that theres anything wrong with that?

Anonymous said...

Ah sounds like you had a right stressful time on your arrival, but is funny in the blog! KNow what u mean about the keyboard thing its well confusing at first. Hope the uk is better for ya now! As for the rain get used to it, lol!!

kerry (uk)

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Pft, you think UK keyboards are different, give a German keyboard a shot. The 'Y' and 'Z' are switched, and all of the other keys other than letters are completely switched around.

I'm glad you had the classic "I've arrived in a foreign country and every small detail went wrong, but on the whole I'm fine and can look back on it and laugh" experience.

It's also funny how your first blog entry is almost identical to mine. Exchanging currency, getting cash, getting lost in the city... Good times.

It is the beginning of one of the most significant things you will have done in your life to the present. I hope you are ready.

I think what your readers are really looking forward to is the part when you make it do Dresden. So why don't you just head West, fly through the wasteland that is the Netherlands as quickly as possible, and get to the good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Where are you guys??? write more. im waiting

Frank said...

Well Samantha... I would and did :p I have luck on my side apparently though...

Jamie I hope you mean rough in the most literal sense... cause thats how its going. Its a real ROUGH plan. And yeah, I rememeber it :)

Dan, you were right. And also by Greg might be dead I meant he might be getting pulled over by the cops, getting a flat tire, not having a bike pump, and completely overpacking and making his pack heavier than need be. We already realized that he is going to be the kid in the three legged relay race that is crying as his dad drags him along trying to beat his co-worker and all-star athelete kid. :p And the message was MEANT to be like a honeymoon voicemail. Get it?! Get it?!?!

Kerry, no rain since! Its not so bad! And when it did it was only for a short time so no problems! Righto!

Jeff your keyboard sounds frightening. And yeah I can look back and laugh, even at my new blog about the wallet. Cause I am ok. It is just stuff that I am like wow learn from that mistake. And yada yada yada. And I just went back and reread your first entry. You are very right haha. Very similiar. And by the way I thought I would have a heads up on you... you know... knowing the language and all. Nope. A language barrier still exists. They are on a whole new level of English than us. And why head west? Confused.

Anonymous, put a name :P And in London, new entry posted!