Sunday, June 17, 2007

Man this place is crazy...

So so crazy. Bikes everywhere. Bikers get the right away. "Coffeeshops" that sell marijuana, shrooms, and other drugs. People buying them and doing them openly. No one caring. Haven't seen any crime. I don't really even know what to type in this blog... It'll take some time to absorb and find out what I want to put.

We met four Finnish guys last night and hung out with them. They really dislike America. And Russia. And the European Union. And the Italians. AND MOSTLY THE SWEDES. They were funny... really chill. We played cards for a while. I had some Heineken (of course), some Bavaria 86, and some Tuborg. Then we left the campgrounds and went into downtown Amsterdam. We spent forever finding an ATM. And then wandered into The Redlight District... its pretty absurd... you think it would be cool but then you realize how messed up the whole thing is. Like you want to save them but then the slag will probably go back because its good money "entertaining" old men with too much money to throw around. Oh well, to each his own, right? We went back around midnight-ish and just talked by the bar. Theres a lot I am leaving out but don't feel like blogging it. Dan this does not mean you need to fill in the gaps via comment, thanks babe :p

Me and Greg have been walking around the city a lot. That is, once it stopped raining. It is weird... it will rain for 20 minutes and then the sun will come out. A few hours later rain for 20 more minutes real hard... and then sun... and so on. During one of the rain breaks we left the camp. Lots of cool little shops and eateries. I had a shoarma pita today. First time I have ever had lamb. Wasn't too bad. Greg got what he thought was dog... but it was actually mashed potatoes or something. Language barriers... they get cha everytime. McDonalds has 35 euro cent ice cream cones so everyone is always walking around with them so we got some Mackers ice cream. If you have never looked up the city's map... do it. It is awesome with all the canals in a ring around the city. Makes for a lot of gorgeous walking routes. Also all the narrow walkways and what not.

I don't know when we are leaving Amsterdam to head to Frankfurt. But it might be tomorrow, maybe in 2 days, maybe in 3 days.... who knows! BUT Today we are going to the Roots festival I think... should be some cool music.

And Dan, you forget we also covered London to Newcastle... we are at a total of like 470 miles now. From Amsterdam to Dresden is about 480 miles :p It won't be too bad... and we are stopping halfway in Frankfurt I believe... to visit another friend! Hope you are having fun Bored in America!


Frank :)

3 comments:

Dan said...

I hope you enjoyed praying to the lord. When you get back you have to pray with me sometime, or i will be angry.

Jeff said...

Dan, I think the only way the three of us will be able to have a group prayer is if we bake communion wafers. I've still been an atheist ever since I arrived in Dresden. I'm sure I'll get back to going to church and praying regularly once I get back to Blacksburg, though. The Lord is just so expensive in the states!

Ordering food is one of the most fun parts about the language barrier. This is why I enjoy the mensa so much, as I never know what it is that I am having for lunch until I actually start eating it. Even then, there are some meals that I am still left confused as to what I just ate.

It sounds like you are definitely not going to make it to the ska festival this weekend. Great, now you guys hate me too. Because of this, I actually recommend you take your sweet ass time exploring the best country in Europe due to my brother's plans to visit. He will be arriving on June 24, and I will be spending the weekend June 29 - July 1 with him in Prague. He will then visit Berlin, and will spend about one more night in Dresden with me (July 6). If you got here right after this weekend, that would be cool and I could even consider taking a day off of work so the three of us could cycle to Prague and meet my brother there.

So I'm not sure if overlapping your visits is a good thing, bad thing, or neutral thing. I'm basically just letting you know our plans so that you can plan accordingly.

Anonymous said...

frankie.. and greg... i miss you!